NORM4BUILDING TU1301 COST Action
Training school on NORM in Building Materials
Athens (Greece), 12 September – 16 September 2016
The Norm4Building Cost action is pleased to announce the 3rd Norm4Building Training School. The course is co-organized by: the Nuclear Engineering Department and the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Technology of the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA)
The course is focused on radiological issues of Natural Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM) used in building materials production and aims to:
- Introduce participants into various industrial processes producing NORM and the various uses of NORM in building materials industry. Following lectures, the participants will be introduced to the production of new materials based on NORM. The production of geopolymer materials will be demonstrated at the NTUA Lab of the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Technology.
- Introduce participants in natural radioactivity and radionuclide metrology. Lectures will focus on gamma spectrometry for the determination of gamma emitting radionuclides and measurement of radon exhalation from materials and structures. The participants will be trained in materials radiological characterization techniques, radon exhalation measuremants from raw materials and building structures and sample preparation at the NTUA Lab of the Nuclear Engineering Department.
- Introduce participants in dosimetric quantities, dosimetric measurements and the use of relevant instruments. Models for the determination of dosimetric quantities, relevant indexes and legislative issues will also be discussed.
TRAINING SCHOOL PROGRAM AND USEFUL INFORMATION:
The Training school is aimed towards Master students, PhD students, Early Career Investigators (up to 5 years after PhD is obtained), without excluding undergraduate students.
The number of COST action sponsored participants is limited to 9. The total number of participants is limited to 20.
- A brief CV ( with the indication of the date of receipts of the PhD or other higher degrees)
- Motivation letter for participating in the Training School, which should indicate the academic/professional status of the applicant
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s supervisor or employer
If you are interested in participating, please send your application via e-mail to Diana Olislagers (email@example.com) with copy to Marios Anagnostakis (firstname.lastname@example.org) and use the subject line: “Application COST Training School Athens 2016”
The sponsored participants would be reimbursed according the COST Action guidelines. The final grant amount for each participants will depend on participation level, on the country of origin, on budgetary considerations and will be confirmed in due course. Sponsored participants will be informed about the amount of grant prior to the Training School. The Grant is intended to cover most of the travel, accommodation and subsistence costs during the Training School and it will be made available to the participants after the Training School. Participants would have to take care of their travel and accommodation on their own.
The deadline for applications submission is June 1st, 2016. The notification of acceptance or rejection will be sent July 1st, 2016 at the latest.
CONTACT AND INFORMATION
National Technical University of Athens
Iroon Polytexniou 9 – Athens
T 0030 210 77 22 912
Summer School hosted by: With support of: